(See Advice Section for Resources to address needs more specific to medical training.)
Get Help – For All Health Professionals
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-8255)
- Crisis Text Line – Text HELLO to 741741. Free, 24/7, text-based mental health support
- NIMH Information on Suicide Prevention – Includes crisis numbers, an introduction if you know someone in crisis, signs and symptoms, steps to help someone in emotional pain, and more resources and information.
- Suicide Prevention Resources – American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Anxiety and Depression
- Depression & Bipolar Support Alliance – National non-profit organization with comprehensive information and resources.
- Depression Basics – Info on what depression is, how it is treated, etc. Webpage on the National Institute of Mental Health
- Anxiety Disorders – National Institute of Mental Health
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America – Understanding the anxiety and depression, finding a therapist.
Mental Health Information
- Mental Health America – Includes information and resources for depression, anxiety and other conditions including psychosis, PTSD, addiction.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)- A major resource on all forms and aspects of mental illness.
Mental Health Treatment
- Find a Psychiatrist – American Psychiatric Association
- Find a Therapist – Directory by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Find Help & Treatment – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Find Mental Health Help – Mental Health America
- Help for Mental Illness – Describes different types of available treatments. National Institute for Mental Health.
- Psychology Help Center – Multiple resources. American Psychological Association
Effect of Pandemic & Other Public Health Crises on Health Care Workers
- COVID-19: A heavy toll on health-care workers Lancet journal article by Mehta et al., 6/21/2021.
- Pandemic worsens burnout of female physicians, critical care, and infectious docs. Online article in Healthcare Drive. 1/25/2021.
- Managing Mental Health During COVID-19 – AMA March 2021
- The Toll Of The Coronavirus Pandemic On Health Care Workers – KFF/The Washington Post Frontline Health Care Workers Survey
- Grief and Loss During A Crisis – Mt. Sinai message sent to staff.
- Addressing Post-Pandemic Clinician Mental Health. Annals Internal Med article, August 21, 2020.
Resilience – Focused on Nursing
Blogs and Articles
- Off the Charts A blog of the American Journal of Nursing (AJN)
- Nursing Standard – Articles
- Topic – COVID-19: free news and evidence-based resources on the pandemic, well-being. Example: How COVID-19 is affecting nurses’ mental health, and what to do about it by Lynn Pierce, 2021.
- Developing resilience to combat nurse burnout, Quick Facts, July, 2019, Joint Commission.
Managing Stress & Self Care During COVID-10: Information for Nurses. A resource by the American Psychiatric Nurses Association that includes tips for managing stress, warning signs of excessive stress, and how to access help.
7 habits of highly resilient nurses, by Diane Sieg, a former ER nurse, 16 November 2020, Nursing Centered, SigmaNursing.org. Mindfulness based “habits” to cultivate.