Get Help – For All Health Professionals
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-8255)
- Crisis Text Line – Text HELLO to 741741. Free, 24/7, text-based mental health support
- NIMH Information on Suicide Prevention – Includes crisis numbers, an introduction if you know someone in crisis, signs and symptoms, steps to help someone in emotional pain, and more resources and information.
- Suicide Prevention Resources – American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Anxiety and Depression
- Depression & Bipolar Support Alliance – National non-profit organization with comprehensive information and resources.
- Depression Basics – Info on what depression is, how it is treated, etc. Webpage on the National Institute of Mental Health
- Anxiety Disorders – National Institute of Mental Health
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America – Understanding the anxiety and depression, finding a therapist.
Mental Health Information
- Mental Health America – Includes information and resources for depression, anxiety and other conditions including psychosis, PTSD, addiction.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)- A major resource on all forms and aspects of mental illness.
Mental Health Treatment
- Find a Psychiatrist – American Psychiatric Association
- Find a Therapist – Directory by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Find Help & Treatment – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Find Mental Health Help – Mental Health America
- Help for Mental Illness – Describes different types of available treatments. National Institute for Mental Health.
- Psychology Help Center – Multiple resources. American Psychological Association
Support Related to COVID-19
For All Health Professionals
- Conversation and action guide to support staff well-being and joy in work during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 2020
- Sustaining Well-Being During Outbreaks – Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress
- Managing Mental Health During COVID-19 – AMA March 2021
- Managing Healthcare Workers’ Stress During Outbreaks – National Center for PTSD, March 2020
- Mt. Sinai messages sent to staff during the COVID pandemic
Specifically For Medical Students:
Resources from the AMA during the COVID pandemic:
Resilience – Focused on Nursing
Blogs and Articles
- Off the Charts A blog of the American Journal of Nursing (AJN)
- Nursing Standard – Articles
- Topic – COVID-19: free news and evidence-based resources on the pandemic, well-being. Example: How COVID-19 is affecting nurses’ mental health, and what to do about it by Lynn Pierce, 2021.
- Developing resilience to combat nurse burnout, Quick Facts, July, 2019, Joint Commission.
Managing Stress & Self Care During COVID-10: Information for Nurses. A resource by the American Psychiatric Nurses Association that includes tips for managing stress, warning signs of excessive stress, and how to access help.
7 habits of highly resilient nurses, by Diane Sieg, a former ER nurse, 16 November 2020, Nursing Centered, SigmaNursing.org. Mindfulness based “habits” to cultivate.
Skills For Medical Students
Information and Resources to Understand the Challenges of Medical School and Build Coping Skills to Help Manage Them