Resources on Coping with Patient Death
- Coping with Grief: How Physicians Can Heal After Patient Deaths – An article on the website Physician Practice. (by Deborah Shute, September 23, 2019)Tips include:
- Create a safe space – It is important to acknowledge your emotions. Leadership can play a supportive role by creating opportunities for the expressing of emotions.
- Normalize grief support – Similarly, leadership can play a role in explaining that it is normal and accepted to access your organization’s formal grief support resources.
- Let go of guilt.
- Prioritize self-care.
- Doctors grieve, too – A lesson I did not learn in medical school – A blog by a Pediatric resident on MedPage.com
- Physician Grief with Death – A review of the literature article by Randy A Sansone MD and Lori A Sansone MD, published in Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience, 20(4), 2012. Includes an overview of grief responses in physicians and ways of resolving the grief response.
Other information, activities, and resources relevant to this scenario: